|Working Groups||Working Group 3 - Cross Border Cooperation and Multilateral Environmental Agreement||WG 3 Water Management|
All activities under WG3 Water Management Sub-Group are related and focus on cross-border cooperation. Thirteen river basins are shared by the SEE countries and about 90% of the territory of those countries falls within shared basins. More than half of the thirteen transboundary rivers and four shared lakes in the region are shared by three or more riparian countries; moreover, more than 50 transboundary aquifers have been identified. Therefore cooperation among the riparian countries is very important.
On-going cooperation for the management of shared basins exists and RENA is an excellent platform for enhancing such a cooperation, as well as improvement of water resources management at national level, which is necessary condition for a better transboundary cooperation. The latter should cover not only Western Balkans countries and Turkey, but also EU member states and beyond. As some transboundary activities are ongoing already, this RENA activity is constructed in such a way that any overlap is avoided, for example, with Sava river management activities, Drin Dialogue, DABLAS activities, HORIZON 2020 etc.. Moreover, cooperation should be refocused on the challenges of accession, ensuring coherence and synergies in alignment with the acquis, previously carried out under various other instruments.
As stated in the ToR, specific attention should be paid to the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and its requirements.
The selected cross border sites and training topics are the following:
- Module 1: Basic measures: the role of Water Framework Directive
- Module 2: River Basin District characterisation including economic analysis
- Module 3: Heavily modified water bodies and new modifications
- Module 4: Coordination of criteria for good water status and modelling of environemental impact of human activities on water bodies
- Module 5: Development of the Programme of Measures and measures related to Article 9 (cost recovery)